It’s audition season for Houston Boychoir and we want to help make it as easy as possible for you to join our awesome team! So we sat down with Carole Nelson, Artistic Director to take you through the audition process, step by step!
1. When boys enter the audition, the first thing we do is have a conversation. This helps us get to know the boys and it also helps the boys relax. The questions mostly consist of personal knowledge about the boys, such as the school that they attend and what they like to do when they’re not singing.
2. After the interview, we vocalize, singing through some simple scales and passages to see how high or low they can sing at this point, and it gives us a general idea on the quality of their tone.
3. We then sing and play a few short passages and ask the boy to sing them back. What we evaluate is the boy’s ear for music, or his tonal memory. The audition process is simple. We are looking for a boy’s innate musical talent. If he is accepted into the choir, he will learn all the skills he needs and so much more.
4. Following the audition, boys receive a letter in the mail telling them whether or not they have been accepted into the choir. It is up to the parents to respond and let us know if their boys will be accepting the offer. Some boys may not be developmentally ready and, in those cases, HBC will ask them to wait a year before trying out again. There is also a limit as to how many boys we can accept, and so other boys might be placed on a wait list.
Although the audition process is simple and straightforward, there are certain things that the choirmasters of Houston Boychoir are trained to look for. Below, we listed certain qualities a boy might demonstrate:
1. a passion and excitement for music
2. intelligence and an eagerness and enthusiasm for learning
3. the ability to focus in educational settings
4. a sense of humor and generally a pleasant demeanor that will allow him to function well in a group
Houston Boychoir provides boys with an unparalleled and unforgettable experience. If your son or someone you know has the qualities and talent to be a part of this awesome program, we encourage you to come and audition! Houston Boychoir, it’s a game changer!
To arrange an audition go to our website: auditions or for more information call 281-484-1560.